Home Home Home

August 27, 2014

The Summer Sun and Baby Sunscreen

I don't know about your summer, but Ohio has been brutal.
Flipping from high 70's to low 90's, it's awful.

Regardless of the heat, babies still need maximum sun protection!

I have been reading about sun protection and infants quite a bit lately. From what I have read, I've come to the conclusion and agreement with the Skin Cancer Association that babies under 6 months of age should stay out of the sun as much as possible. Especially between the hours of 10 am - 4 pm.
I know, it seems nearly impossible.
Wearing protective clothing when they are out helps.

But when the heat is unbearable, I put sunscreen on my little boy.
*GASP*
I know.

The way that I see it is;
Sunburn vs. sunscreen chemicals.

I choose to slather on the sunscreen on that kid and avoid sunburn, thank you very much!

I have looked into why sunscreen isn't recommended under 6 months.
The FDA states that it would prefer that caregivers use sunscreen as a last resort, and even then quite sparingly on babies under 6 months. 
Because babies’ skin is thinner and more permeable than that of older kids and adults, and because their skin-to-body-weight ratio is greater than that of older people, they’re more likely to absorb sunscreen ingredients and suffer reactions.

Sometimes when parents hear the word, 'chemicals' they freak out and start running the other direction.
I figure that the chemicals in mineral based sunscreens are worth putting up against the risk factors of cancer.
Some ingredients I plan on staying away from;
Oxybenzone, an excellent filter for UVA rays, is also a synthetic estrogen. If it's absorbed through the skin, it can be an endocrine disrupter. 
No thank you.

Retinyl palmitate, often used because it's an antioxidant that boosts the efficacy of UV filters, may also increase photocarcinogenicity, the rate of developing cancerous lesions or tumors from sun exposure, according to a 2009 study.

Give me a mineral based sunscreen void of those ingredients and I'll show you a greased up baby boy having an awesome time in the pool and sunshine!

My favorite mineral based sunscreen; Babyganics





Baby Badger Organic Mineral Sunscreen is another great option!

(See ingredient list here)

The sun is brutal all the time, even in the fall and winter.
So please don't forget to apply and reapply!

Do you follow every recommendation for your children? 
What is your favorite sunscreen? 
What are other organic items that you may use?

No comments: