Home Home Home

August 18, 2014

New Mom Essentials: Getting Through Recovery and the First Month

To be completely honest, there isn't much that you need for your baby right off the bat. 
Here are the things that I found necessary, or nice, during the first month while I was recovering from my c-section.
New Mom




Yoga pants and a nursing tank seemed to be the uniform for the first 2 weeks. I couldn't fit in any of pants because they all rested on my incision... And nursing tanks are the best inventions ever.

I had a lot of family and friends visiting, so a nursing cover was polite... Not necessary, but I didn't want anyone to feel like they had to leave just because Jaxon was hungry.

With having to go back to work, establishing a freezer stash of milk was necessary... So pumping was a must.
And nipple cream was nice for those first few days.

I tried to use disposable nursing pads and found that they made any soreness worse... So I had my sister-in-law make me some washable ones.
Heaven!

The bottles were really only used when I was out for too long without Jaxon, and Jake had to feed him. 
I like the Tommee Tippee brand because of how comfortable it is to hold... I know that there are many options regarding bottles. They just happens to be my preference.
If I were to branch out, I would try Medela's new Calma nipple. Medela Calma is designed exclusively for breast milk feeding with the baby needing to create a vacuum in order to get milk from a bottle. 

Personally, Jake and I chose to not bathe Jaxon until after his umbilical cord fell off. Once it did, we decided that showering with him would be easier for us until he was a little older. I love the California baby line, so it was a no-brainer for us to use their baby wash.

With my weight restriction of 10 lbs being in place the full 6 weeks, which I was terrible about because Jaxon was born at 9 lbs, the car seat and stroller were necessary for any outings.

My days were mostly spent on our couch, packing our condo so we could move. Because of this, the swing was a true blessing.

And boy-o-boy did we swaddled that boy up for the first month. 
We had hand made receiving blankets, but with summer in full force, I found that I preferred the lighter muslin swaddle blankets.
Now, I use them as nursing covers because they are so light and big!

No comments: