Home Home Home

August 12, 2014

Goodbye, Robin Williams

My heart dropped as I read the headline on my Facebook feed. 
Robin Williams was trending.
At first I thought it was a hoax and I had to Google it to be sure.
Web source after web source affirmed what I had read.

Robin Williams is gone.

So far it is cited as being an apparent suicide.

I'm floored that someone who brought so many people such joy and laughter could harbor feelings dark enough to lead them to that kind of solution to their troubles.

I spent the rest of the night talking with Jake about our favorite roles. 
Some we agreed were great.
Others we had completely forgotten about.
We discussed his strengths and weaknesses throughout his career.

It was a good night that prompted me to want to watch many of my favorite movies again.

Hands down, Jake's absolute favorite movie ever is Hook.
I'm talking about the film score being on his playlist constantly.

I can't help but think of What Dreams May Come, a movie I can watch over and over again.

Mr. Williams had such an amazing career and talent that he shared with us all.
'There are no small roles, only small actors,' is a true statement for this amazing man.
Each 'smaller' role he took, he embraced completely.

The doctor in Nine months.
Teddy Roosevelt in Night at the Museum.
Wizard in August Rush.
The reverend in License to Wed.

Not to mention the many animated characters he gave a voice.
Romon in Happy Feet.
Genie in Aladdin.
Fender in Robots.
Batty in FernGully.

These are just a few on his vast list of credits.

His comedic roles and quick humor may have solidified his presence in movies, but it was his dramatic roles that showed his brilliance and range. 

I'm truly heartbroken and reeling.
I send warm thoughts and prayers to his grieving family as they try to sort through their feelings and find comfort in each other.

1 comment:

Kacie said...

It's one of those deaths that make you feel things should stop moving, even if it's only a couple of minutes.

Your words are so true - he was always great.