Home Home Home

August 7, 2014

Cloth Diaper Questions

How many diapers do you need for one child?
I have heard of parents using as few as 8 diapers and washing daily. I I started out with 25 and stressed washed every other day. Now I have closer to 50 and it's such a relief to wash at the end of the 2nd day. With less of a stash I was so scared about running out of diapers on the 2nd day.

How does your kid move?
Jaxon actually moves pretty well. His diapers didn't stop him from doing things. 
He rolled for the first time, front to back, when he was 12 weeks old. He rolled from back to belly when he was 14 weeks.

What is the worst part of cloth diapering?
The anticipation of starting. It's so intimidating when you have no experience and are thrown into this new world of terminology and sometimes conflicting advice. 
You have to just dive in and learn as you go. 

How often are you changing diapers?
I change every 2-3 hours, depending. If I know he is poopy, I change him right away. At night he gets a diaper with added inserts put on at his midnight feeding.

How big does a baby have to be to start cloth diapering?
Some companies have newborn diapers that are for babies 5-10 lbs. I started diapering in the AIO (all-in-ones) when Jaxon was 12 lbs. We could have started sooner, but I was intimidated and had a stash of disposables from my baby shower and the hospital.

How do you know if the diaper fits correctly?
The diaper should fit like underwear.
The general rule is that you should be able to fit 2 fingers into the waistband easily.
If it leaves deep red creases, it is too tight.
Also the leg gussets should fit in the creases of your baby's legs.

Do diaper changes take longer with cloth?
No.
The only thing that may take longer is getting things snapped, but that is only if the snaps are being dumb.
I can be just as fast as other moms.

What is your favorite diaper brand?
For night time I am leaning toward the Kawaii's because they are bigger and allow a lot of room for extra inserts.
For day time I really do not have a favorite. I'm picking favorite prints at this point.

Do you diaper differently at night?
Yes. 
I place more inserts in the diaper for night time so that the diaper lasts 5-6 hours.

How did Jake respond to cloth diapering?
He was all for it. He loves the idea of saving money, so we didn't even really discuss it at length. I just started getting diapers and he would ask to see the prints every once in a while. Now I just show him the new ones and he says, 'Yep.'
Jake is slowly getting the hang of the wash routine. He has yet to do a full load, from start to finish, but I'm sure that it will take time to get him to take a pee filled or poop stained insert out of a pocket diaper. Spraying poop might be a different story.
A diaper sprayer is more like a toy, right?

What is something that you are going to change?
I am currently working on phasing out the microfiber inserts that I have. I don't like that they have a reputation for compression leaking.
They may turn into dust cloths.

What do you do for swimming?
Swim diapers, paper or cloth, have only one purpose.
Catching poo.
Any PUL diaper cover can do that, so I just use a cover, sans insert.
Easy!
I do check him every once in a while and if he poops, change him immediately.
I don't like the idea of him sitting in anything poopy.


If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask away!

1 comment:

Kacie said...

Your cloth diaper posts are making me consider it when we start having kids. But I'm still worried that I'm just not diligent enough to do it haha. I'm glad it's going so well for you!