Home Home Home

August 21, 2014

Are you a 'Crunchy' Mom?

Crunchy Mom, Granola Mom, Hippie Mom…

What about just ‘Mom’?

Since becoming a mother, I have come across this categorizing when it comes to decisions and how you raise your children. It’s interesting to find myself placed in a category just because.

I have to admit that I had to look it all up on Urban Dictionary…

Crunchy Momma
Mother who supports homebirth, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, gentle discipline, etc. One who questions established medical authority; tends to be vegetarian and/or prepare all-organic foods.

Now, I’ll admit that I am some of those things, for sure.. But not all.
And, I don’t really appreciate being put into a box.

I took a test to see just how crunchy I am.
Evidently, I’m pretty crispy.

(These terms seem so ridiculous, but I'm finding myself using them!)

I guess cloth diapering, spreading out vaccinations, part time co-sleeping, breastfeeding/pumping, baby wearing, among a few other things makes me fairly crunchy.

Another note: I didn't know that minimal to no makeup was a 'crunchy' thing. 
That's just plain weird.
Oh, and my footwear choice too evidently.

I completely understand the idea of building a community... 
But, really, we are all moms first!

Do any mothers out there have anything that adds them to the 'crunchy' category?
Is there anything on the crunchy list that you are just not going to do?

2 comments:

Kacie said...

I know I'm not a mom or a mom-to-be right now, but I have seen my share of internet fights in the mommy blogosphere and I think you got the point a lot of women don't prioritize - that you're all moms. Unfortunately, it turns into a competition; who's the better mom? For whatever reason, people decide that their way is the Right way, with a capital 'R'. It seems the "us vs. them" mentality is everywhere instead of the "live and let live."

Anyway, I still took the quiz. I'm apparently sprinkled with granola ;)

Darby Hawley said...

I'm pretty crunchy, and love it. I don't care what others say, I know it's best for our family.