Home Home Home

April 15, 2014

40 Weeks

40
It’s officially the end of a stage in my life.

I’m tired.
Really tired.
This week was one that I spent staying up longer and longer every time I got up during the night… waiting to see if the Braxton hicks contraction that I had would turn into active labor.
It never did.

I’m ready.
Well, it’s more like I’m ready to be done with pregnancy.

I can’t wait to be able to bend at the waist again.
Put on normal shoes, whether they are the ones that I already have, or a new size.

More than that, I can’t wait to hold my little boy.
Smell him.
See what he looks like.

The one decision I am very glad that we made is choosing to not do the 4D ultrasound.
Originally we didn’t do it because we didn’t want to leave any family member who wanted to go out of the appointment. And with 22 family members in town (not including ourselves) and 2 that live about 2 hours away, I would have been claustrophobic and stressed.
It was a selfish decision, I admit.
But I think that it has really helped Jake and I get more excited about meeting our little man.
I think Jake needs all the excitement for a newborn we can muster, with school and his MCAT taking over his free time.
He needed the distraction and mystery.
We can speculate whose genes will win the battle and get the surprise of seeing his features for the first time in person.
It gives us something fun to talk about, rather than just planning and worrying about the future.

So that’s it.
Tomorrow is THE day.
We go into the hospital at 8pm.
Because I tested positive for group B, I’ll be given a dose of antibiotics right away and scheduled for a second dose later during the night.
I’ll have Pitocin, and hopefully things will really go from there as naturally as possible.
If necessary I’ll have the balloon cath.
Not looking forward to that and really praying that I won’t have to.
I’m hoping to stay as mobile as possible.
Walking, using the birthing ball, showering if I want….
Then depending on how tired I am and how well I direct my pain, we will face the meds decision.
My ideal would be to not need it, but I have to be realistic and open minded.

We will see.
That’s all I can say.
And I’m OK with that.

The next time you hear from me, I’ll be a mother.
A family of three with a  cat and dog.

Crazy!

1 comment:

Darby Hawley said...

Praying for a safe delivery! I can't wait to see you with your son!!!