Home Home Home

October 24, 2013

Dinner and a Show

This fall I’m participating in a musical review of the composer Stephen Schwartz.
He created the music for some amazing shows and movies.
Pippin
Godspell
Children of Eden
Waiting
Wicked
Prince of Egypt
Pocahontas
 
Just to name a few.
 
Last week I auditioned for the review with many friends.
There was a little bit of time where I thought that I wasn’t going to be able to do the show.
I was really bummed, because I adore his music.
 
Finally everything got figured out.
Let’s just say that I have an amazing husband.
 
After getting things set on Friday that I was available for the show, I auditioned on Saturday.
I had stopped prepping for the audition the week before, so that was interesting.
I also chose to sing ‘Not While I’m Around’ from Sweeny Todd….
 
Let me give you a little of the lyrics:
Nothings gonna harm you, not while I’m around.
Nothings gonna harm you, No sir, Not while I’m around.
Demons are prowling everywhere nowadays.
I’ll send them howling, I don’t care, I have ways.
No one’s gonna hurt you, no one’s gonna dare.
Others can desert you, not to worry, whistle I’ll be there.
Demons can charm you with a smile, for a while, but in time…
Nothing can harm you, not while I’m around.
 
Needless to say, I nearly started to just sob…. So I stopped after the first verse.
It was kind of abrupt.
Not my smartest idea.
I was singing, about to go into the second verse and I stopped and just took a deep breath.
Then I said, ‘Yeah, I think that’s OK. I’m done now.’
I’m sure it wasn’t appreciated, even though the director laughed and asked if I was about to cry.
Laughing, I told her, ‘Yeeeah, I should have thought about the context of the song before I chose it.’
All of us giggled about it while I sat down.
 
The song list and solo/duet assignments went out that night.
I’m really excited because I was given ‘For Good’ from Wicked the Musical to sing with a  friend of mine.
It’s going to be a lot of fun and really great to sing with her.
There are about 3-4 chorus numbers that may have dancing and choreography.
I’m excited.
This girl needs some cardio!
 
Anyway. The show is going to be toward the end of November.
I’m really excited because it’s going to be a dinner theatre cabaret show.
No sets or costumes.
Just music and a little dancing.
I’ve never participated in anything like it.
It’s going to be a lot of fun!

1 comment:

Danielle Villano said...

Congratulations! That's going to be a wonderful show.

And the lyrics to "Not While I'm Around" always get me. Very beautiful and simple.

Best,
Danielle
http://awriterinlove.blogspot.com