Home Home Home

August 28, 2013

DIY Chalk Board

I've wanted a pretty chalkboard for a long time.
Now that I know about chalk pens, I knew that getting one was a must.

But, have you seen the price of those things?! 
I decided to take matters into my own hand and make mine.

I purchased chalkboard contact paper!
{supplies; contact paper, frame, chalk pens.}
Genius!

For some reason I also decided that this was a bed project.
{take glass out of frame.}
No need to get fancy.
I was also in my pajamas, about to pass out.
I'm classy like that.

But, I did remember to take pictures! 

Contact paper was my mom's best friend while I was growing up. 
She would get rolls of it and cover all of our school books, even notebooks.
I'm pretty experienced with contact paper.
Watch out.


First thing was fitting.
Gotta love those 1 inch boxes.
I cut 2 boxes out from the glass of the picture frame.
Then I cut 4 boxes out of each corner to make it easy to fold the edges over.
Of course I didn't take a picture of that.

Smoothing the contact paper down is the hardest part.
You have to make sure the surface is clean.
Then getting the paper pried from the stickiness without damaging it.
I generally start by lining up one edge and folding the tab over.
Then smoothing everything out and working myself down to the bottom, and finishing off with the remaining 3 tabs.

Put it all back together and, Tada!

Chalkboard!

I'm super excited about it... Now I just have to find a home for it... And something to write other than the lame things I did when I was testing out the pens.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

That is really cute!

Darby Hawley said...

That looks great! I love the chalk pens! I gotta get me some of those babies.
Have a great Friday Erin!

Crystal said...

Cute!

Crystal said...

Cute!