Home Home Home

June 3, 2013

The 'C' word

It's hard to share with people about what strongholds you're fighting against.
The main reason it is hard is that you are afraid of judgement or having your issues swept aside.

I am not as knowledgeable about cancer as many others. It's never really touched my life until the last 2 years, or so.
It started out with a close friend being diagnosed with small cell lung cancer-
a more aggressive type of lung cancer that is not curable.  It does respond better to chemo than the other type, non small cell lung cancer.
Watching him go through the troubles and emotional battle that chemo entails has been heart breaking.
Things are going well for him with a macrobiotic diet, which is very interesting  and new to me.
I ask questions about it all the time.

Very recently, Jake's step-dad was diagnosed with thyroid cancer after a mass was removed from his throat. He aspirated while he was at the hospital and has to wait to recover until the doctors go in to take out the second side.
Once that is done he will be taking radioactive iodine rather than doing chemo.

I don't really know how to process cancer.
I'm appalled by how common it is becoming.
Like I said, I'm no expert, but I agree with others who say that it's something that has changed in recent times that is causing this cancer epidemic.
I may be wrong to state that so generally, but cancer should never be considered 'common place'.
No disease should ever be common place. 
We live in the 21st century!

Anyway, I just wanted to share my heavy heart.
I knew that this post wouldn't be a very well written or expressed one, and for that I apologize.

Take care, Loves.

1 comment:

Becca May said...

I am also no expert on that nasty "c" word...I have had people semi-close to me battle breast cancer and win, and I guess I haven't taken it as seriously as I should because the 2 women I know have caught it very quickly and recovered very fast. I was never able to say that cancer "affected" me...until last week...19 months ago, my favorite aunt was diagnosed with Glioblastoma(sp?)...the most aggressive type of brain cancer known to date. The prognosis for this type of cancer is 1 year or less. Last Tuesday, she finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired & lost her fight. For the first 18 months, she fought hard and (excuse my colorful language) kicked that cancer's ass...but in the course of that last month, her eye sight left her, she lost all movement on her left side, she went from 120lbs to about 200 lbs (in swelling from the steroids), and finally- we had to let her go. She died at 44 years old with a 23 year old daughter and a husband of 25 years. Cancer seemed like such an un-real word to me. But behind that unreal word is such a real and nasty reality. I sense the heaviness in your heart today, and despite that- this was, indeed, a VERY well written and expressed post. Don't apologize for being vulnerable and speaking from your heart. Your family will be in my thoughts and my wish for you is that regardless of how sick OR how healthy ANY of your loved ones are, you spend AS much time as you can making memories with them, because if, God-forbid, they are taken away from you- those memories sure are sweet.
I don't know what provoked me to spill my guts HERE, but I have had those things in my mind since my Aunt Lisa died last week so thank you for letting me get them out. Thank you for being part of my grieving process. I'm beyond grateful that I stumbled across this post today. xo, Becca