Home Home Home

April 22, 2013

Peplum Shirt

I have one. 
I even wore it once and liked it.
I'll wear it again because it's dang cute!
I just can't help but share the funniness that I find with this style shirt coming back into style.
Before the 2012 trend took over we saw the peplum figure mostly in cinch/elastic waisted tunics.

That's right. I said back in style.
It was popular in the 80's. Big shoulders, peplum waistline.
It was popular in the 50's, mainly as a top for pencil shirts.

The shape that I most associate the peplum with is the 1700-1800's riding habit.

Now granted, the shape was necessary due to their voluminous skirts, corsets and petticoats.
Designers are finding exciting and beautiful ways to re-invent past trends.

pep·lum  

Noun
  1. A short flared, gathered, or pleated strip of fabric attached at the waist of a woman's jacket, dress, or blouse.
  2. (in ancient Greece) A woman's loose outer tunic or shawl.


I guess where I was going with this was, whenever I wear my peplum shirt, I feel like I stepped back in time.

It's similar to the feeling I get when I wear a costume.
Or read a historical novel.
And I sure do love both.

3 comments:

Katie Did What said...

Isn't it funny how styles always are recycled and ALWAYS end up coming back into fashion?! Crazy. I do love that coat though. I would totally rock that riding habit from the 1700s haha ;)

xo

Alex[andra] said...

I'll be honest; I never understood the peplum craze. But maybe that's because I don't think it suits me lol

Darby Hawley said...

To be honest, I have not liked this look until recently. What changed my mind was looking back at the retro vibes it gives off and I have fallen in love with them! I need to get one, but I'm scared I'm a little too "chunky" to pull this look off.