Home Home Home

February 4, 2013

Counseling and Me

It's a hard thing, admitting that you need help working through life's challenges. 

If you are new to the blog, in a nutshell, my husband got back from a year long deployment in September. Not a very revealing nutshell, but a pretty complete statement as to where this is all coming from.

Before the holiday season, I contacted a local Christian counseling center and scheduled a session.
I chose to go the route of a christian counselor based off of a friend's recommendation and knowing that the person that I was sharing my vulnerabilities with would understand me from my base beliefs.
Having to explain my faith to someone who might not understand or approve of the need that I have for a Christian viewpoint and belief system is exhausting.

I found the 'getting to know you' sessions to be excruciating. 
I hated having to explain every little thing, clarifying every viewpoint and reiterating who was who in my life.
I got frustrated enough with the  who's who that I finally made a list/diagram for my counselor.

Now that I have finally settled into the appointments, things have been going much better. It wasn't pleasant in the beginning... It was similar to an hour long word vomit session., sorry for the visualization. I think with the first 3-4 appointments I was the only who said anything... Looking back it must have been a very confusing start, but I was laying the groundwork, introducing people and situations...

I knew that seeing someone about my issues was the right way to go... But I fought the process. I felt that the issues that I was/am having were personal and best dealt with in my own time and in my own way, and with some things this is case... 

I'm still a work in progress.
I have a better handle on where I am mentally and emotionally.
I'm in a much better place than I was 3-4 months ago.

Thank you for sticking by me and putting up with these kinds of posts. Your comments and support has helped more than you, or anyone else, could imagine.

2 comments:

Mellissa Rondinelli said...

Glad to hear things are getting better ;-)

Shia

Darby Hawley said...

This is great! I'm so glad that you can feel a difference and that things are going better!