Home Home Home

August 29, 2012

August Book Club: The Paris Wife

{pic via}

This month's book was a book that we had on our list for a while. 
Here is the summary.

If I were to judge the book by the cover, like I do sometimes, I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.
Admit it, you look at the cover first too.

It took me a while to read, but that was more due to it being the last month of this deployment than the book itself.
I found it pretty beautifully written. 
The tone was very realistic and true.
It's the best way I can explain it.
I really felt like it was peering into the past.
A troubled, depressing past.

I liked seeing such a literary great from the view of someone so close to him.
It was hard knowing the little that I did about Ernest Hemingway and being able to guess the events of the book from well known history.
It was heartbreaking to know that the beautiful relationship that was being formed in the beginning of the book was only going to be destroyed in the end.

All-in-all, I liked the book.
It was really interesting.
I was never bored.
I may have wanted to hit people, but I was always drawn in.

I give it a 7 out of 10.
I loved how accurate and true to history it is.
You could read about something, turn around and look it up online, and there would be pictures.
It read like a memoir, when it was really a work of fiction.
The addition of excerpts from Hemingway's actual journal was awesome and infuriating.
I highly recommend it!

1 comment:

Lindsay K {lastyearoftwentysomething} said...

We read the Paris Wife a while back for book club! Loved it! Great read!