Home Home Home

July 17, 2012

Calling the Called: Brittany from Not So Newlyweds

This week you get to hear from Brittany who is one of the first bloggers that I followed.
She's amazing and has quite the experience.
I think you'll enjoy what she has to share.

-----------------------------------------

A few weeks ago, Erin emailed me asking if I would like to write a guest post for her blog. She wanted to do a series on finding yourself and figuring out your life. My first thought was, I have nothing figured out!! But she also mentioned that this post could be about overcoming obstacles, school, or what I wanted to be when I “grow up” and I thought that I had a great story to tell. Yes, it may be a little long, but I think it’s worth the read.

I went into college majoring in Music Education. I wanted to be a high school band director—yes, I said it. I was a drummer in high school and loved the competition. I especially loved that not many women were in the profession and my dream was for my band to win, especially against all those bands that had male directors. When winter vacation rolled around of my sophomore year, I came home miserable. I didn’t like what I was doing. Honestly, I didn’t really fit in with the rest of the music majors. I joined a sorority—it was not the one all of the other music majors belonged too (outcast). I didn’t participate in choir, not that I didn’t want to, I didn’t have time (outcast). It wasn’t that I didn’t get along with the other music majors, they were all so kind and I still talk to a few, but I just didn’t fit in. It all didn’t feel right. So when I went back to school in January, I changed my major. For me it was one of the best and hardest decisions I’ve ever made. I hate disappointing people and felt as though I was disappointing a few of my music professors. I knew I wanted to work with kids and loved the middle school age, so I changed my major to middle childhood education.

Fast forward to my senior year when I had come to find I would need to stay for an extra semester. At the end of the year, the majority of my friends graduated and I had come to terms with finishing in January. The only part I had left was my students teaching, which started after 6 weeks of classes. Since I had family in the area I went to college (2 hours from home) I decided to live with my grandparents for 6 weeks, and then finish my student teaching in a district at home. All was okay with my college, as long as I passed my Praxis.

If you are a teacher or studying to be a teacher anywhere in the U.S., you know you have to take those magnificent state tests. They’re the best! {kidding} In Ohio, we have the Praxis series. As a future educator, I had to take the Praxis II and then the content tests for language arts and social studies. I took the Praxis II and language arts content earlier my senior year and passed with flying colors. The last one I had left was social studies—really, how hard could it be? I loved history and felt very confident. Boy, was I wrong. I took my test in the summer before starting my last semester and I failed…by one point. Since I took the test at the end of the summer, I didn’t get my results back until the fall. My advisor let me start my classes, but told me if I did not pass I would have to stop my classes and couldn’t student teach. Since I was so sure I would pass, I didn’t see a problem. Not so fast Brittany!  I was heartbroken. I really thought my world was ending. What was I going to do? I didn’t pass. I knew they wouldn’t let me student teach that fall, but since I was already a week into my classes when I received my score, I was determined to finish my classes. I went into the education department pleading my case. With tears streaming down my eyes, I had to convince all of my professors that I deserved to finish my classes and then start my student teaching in the spring. This was not something that I would have typically done. I am a “play by the rules” girl but know there can be exceptions. God had a plan for me that day and after voting all of my professors (but one) agreed to let me finish.

After the 6 weeks of classes were up, I moved in back home with my parents and worked every day until spring rolled around for my student teaching. Even though I was extremely thankful that everything had worked out, I was still disappointed in myself. During that time I was stuck in a rut. I wasn’t happy with how things were going and I was very sad in general. Then once again, He had different plans for me. One crisp fall afternoon I met up for coffee with a boy named J and it completely turned my world around.


I truly believe everything happens for a reason. If I had passed my test and graduated in January I may never have met J, who two years later became by husband. I also may have never been offered the job I have today! I needed to see that everything doesn’t work out as I had planned. Everyone has a story that is being told and even though we would like to be in charge of it, we’re not. I still love to plan my future. When is it the right time to move? When is it the right time to have kids? Should we go on this vacation? What about buying a new (used) car? But when you plan too much, He will show you that it’s time to slow down and that He is still in charge.

I’m not perfect by far and I’m still working on getting everything in order (although I don’t think that will ever come). I have a wonderful job teaching 5th grade and I just finished my masters. Now I look back and think that I was crazy for thinking my world was coming to an end because of some test. In reality, it was such a small hurtle. But really, I wouldn’t have had it any other way. It made me stronger, helped me decide what I really wanted out of life, and allowed me to meet my wonderful husband.
 --------------------
Love, love, love!


Favorite recent posts from The Buckeye Couple at Not So Newlyweds:
Meeting My Olympic Idols
The Blogger Party
Funny Friday
And The Next Thing I Knew, I Woke Up!

2 comments:

Not So Newlyweds said...

Thanks for asking me to participate! It's weird seeing my picture on another blog, but fun at the same time!

emily said...

Thanks Brittany for the wonderful reminder that things doing always go as planned! ;)