Home Home Home

March 7, 2012

Healthier Living

When I was younger I could eat whatever I wanted.
I thought it was my metabolism that had to do with my bodily upkeep.
It probably played a part.
But from age 7-22 I danced my tuckus off every Tuesday night.

Since I quit dancing you can say that I've noticed that I my body has changed.
It's not bad. It's not good. It just is.
In reality I think that growing up and becoming an adult has been the key factor in this change.
I can't just eat whatever I want anymore and not do something.
I have this bad habit. It's called boredom snacking.
I'm doing it right now.
Sitting here, after breakfast, eating a Reese's Easter egg.

It has got to stop.
(My husband working out and running every day while he is deployed and getting a totally rockin' body has nothing to do with it. I am in no way, shape, or form competitive in the fact that he can't be healthier than me. I was a Sports and Leisure Studies major. I took nutrition classes. I took fitness classes... It has nothing to do with the fact that until he is a doctor, I feel like I know more about fitness than he does........)
(AAH! Oh my goodness, I'm terrible.)

Am I wrong in stating that marriage adds pounds?
(Am I the only one?!!!)
I mean it makes sense.
You are happy!
Your diet changes to what both people enjoy.
Initially, you eat out a lot more.
(Heck, just the change from Ramen noodles, cereal and pot pies on the go, to an actual complete meal, sometimes was a shock for me)
Spending time together takes priority over everything else.
Healthy eating takes a back burner.
Pizza rolls and corn dogs suddenly appear in your freezer.
Working out takes a break.
You keep saying that you'll go workout together... When in reality, you never do.

If you are one of the people where that didn't happen after you got married, I applaud you. You are far stronger than me.

That is what the past 2 years, minus the 6 months Jake has been gone, has been for me.
I'm ashamed to say that the corn dogs didn't disappear from the freezer until last month.
I'm not even going to bring Ramen into the conversation.

It's been on my mind to make the healthy lifestyle my lifestyle for a while.
6 months to be exact.
Since Jake left I had noticed that my inactivity hit an all time low.
I was spending the evenings on the couch, stuffing my face while watching whatever reality show I could.
I wasn't overly sad... Just completely unmotivated to do anything.
It's a form of depression.
I knew it, I just didn't bring it up to anyone.
One day, talking to KG in passing, I decided that I needed help.
I knew that if I went to a doctor they would tell me to try things like healthier eating and working out to see if  it helped before prescribing meds.
If I was going to make the effort to go to a doctor about my mild depression, I needed to exhaust all of my options so that I didn't waste anyone's time, including my own.

I'm still not great about working out... Or cooking healthy food.
But I'm getting better about it.
And I'm going to keep trying.

1 comment:

Phil and Darby Hawley said...

Sounds like you've got your motivation back! Go girl! Now please send some to me ;-) I think after I got married, I gained several pounds, in a similar fashion to the "Freshman 15" How long is this newlywed weight acceptable? I'm pushing 5 years right now eeek!