Home Home Home

February 9, 2012

Our Culture

The bible study group that I have been a part of started an awesome study by Beth Moore
Beth Moore is our go-to bible study teacher. All of her studies are really great.
The one we're doing right now is titled Daniel: Lives of Integrity, Words of Prophecy. 
 I've done the study once before, almost 7 years ago.

It's a 2 part study, the first focusing on Daniel and Babylon. The second part focuses on Daniel's prophecy and the book of revelations.
It's heavy stuff.
It's amazing.

Right now my group is in the first section of the study. It's the classic story of Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in Babylon. You know the one where they're thrown into the pit for being Jewish.
Talk about standing up for what you believe in.
Anyway, the real story is about the determination these four men had in keeping their devotion and focus on God while being surrounded by the selfishness and complete excess found in Babylon's culture.

Time and time again this theme has been weighing on my heart.
And to clarify things, Babylon is a mentality, not just a historical place. It's the every person for themselves, take no prisoners, I'm the most important person in my world. Complete selfishness.
It's a state of mind.

A lot of what I've been wrestling with is our cultures support for the keeping up with the Jones'... Or in this day and age, the Kardashian's.

To quote Beth, 'As addictive as cocaine, one little snort of luxury and we decide we were born for it.'

So the real question is, how? How do we stay focused on the right things when culture is so ferociously seducing us with selfishness?


Isaiah 41:10  
fear not, for I am with you;  be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you,  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

1 Corinthians 10:13  
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.


The real challenge is to be relevant in the world, but not of the world.

1 comment:

Phil and Darby Hawley said...

I'm also a big fan of Beth Moore. I love this post and hearing about what God is teaching you :-)