Home Home Home

January 23, 2012

What Happened to Quality?

Growing up I knew that my parents spend big money on things that would last them a lifetime.

When did the market stop offering them?

My vacuum is only 2 years old. 
It was used about once every week or once every other week.
I'm a whole house vacuumer...
So in our old place it was 3 rooms and one stairway each time.
With the new place it is 4 rooms and 2 stairways.
That's 45 minutes, tops, per use.

It's only been used between 104-140 times.
That is 78-105 hours of usage.
3.25-4.375 days of being used in the past 2 years and 2 months.
(Yes, I actually did the math for that. If it's wrong, blame the public school system.)

We have fur babies.
We don't have kids
I added more to compensate for the upped vacuumage of my roommate since she moved in.

The vacuum has been completely cleaned and overhauled about 3-4 times.

It doesn't work anymore.
It doesn't pick up anything... Not a single thing.
Unless I use the hose attachments... But even then it's still minimal.

What's up with that?!
My parents still have a vacuum from the 70's that they bust out every once in a while.

I'm sad.

I'm even more sad because the 'leading brand' of vacuum is over $400... And in no way can I justify spending that much on a vacuum right now.

Don't even get me started on luxury brand names vs reality.
That's a whole different conversation.

3 comments:

Phil and Darby Hawley said...

I had these same thoughts a few months ago when our vacuum bit the dust (pun intended lol) We got a new one so hopefully it lasts a little longer

Grammy Goodwill said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. I can't tell you how many times hubby and I have said that. Just to make you feel worse - I've had my Hoover vacuum since the late 70's. It still works great. I'm just afraid they'll stop making the bags. I buy then whenever I run across them.

Grammy Goodwill said...

I think it's called planned obsolescence with new things.