Home Home Home

October 13, 2011

Job Searching. Aaaaaaand, Begin!

I've been in my current job for the past 7ish years. 
Yay student job!

I'm a secretary for the College of Dentistry.
My job is to write work orders, answer the phone, place and review purchase orders and talk on a walkie-talkie.

Last year, my boss was kind enough to take my student position and turn it into a temp position for 12 months. 
That was in March.

Needless to say, my time is running out. I have under 6 months to find a new job.
A new job that I will hopefully love.
And not be bored with.
That will have benefits so I can work my husband through medical or dental school. 
(Did I not mention that Jake think he might interested in oral surgery?)

The bad thing about being in the same job for the past 7 years is that I have no concept of how I would do any place else. 
I tried retail and didn't love it. 
I tried working at a restaurant and straight up hated it.
My degree is not like teaching or accounting, where you know exactly the positions to apply for that would be relevant to what I went to school for. 
Sports and Leisure Studies;
with a focus on Humanities (reading), Management (like, one course) and playing kids games?

Plus, I'm scared.

Yeah, I know. 
Dumb.
And at least I have a degree...

But I can't help it. I've been in the same job I started with and it is a student's job!
What good is a student job position in the real world? 

Did I mention that I don't want to sit at a desk for the rest of my life?
Yet that is all that I have been trained to do. 
Clerical work.
Call me the ultimate administrative assistant who doesn't really know what she's doing because my job never required me to schedule meetings or update an outlook calendar for someone else.


Allow me a pity party for just a second, because I know this is going to be a hard process.
And any recommendations on how to move forward would be welcome. 

2 comments:

Phil and Darby Hawley said...

oh girl, that's a bummer, but you have a lot going for you. First off you're starting to look now so you don't have to stress about it, and second you probably have a lot more going for ya then you give yourself credit for. Hang in there, I'm certain you will find the perfect job!

Life,Twins,DramaQueen said...

Hi,

New follower from the blog hop please comes follow me back :)
http://lifewithtwinsandadramaqueen.blogspot.com/