Home Home Home

September 11, 2011

9/11

On this day, 10 years ago, I was sitting in my math class when my teacher turned on the news. 
We sat, the entire period, watching the TV.
The outrage and fear from my classmates was evident. 
My math teacher just sat in silence.

I was just a freshman.

I stayed in school that day. My parents were at work and my brother, a senior at the time, checked in on me from time to time. That alone gave me a sense of comfort.
I remember students being angry at teachers who decided to continue teaching, refusing to turn on the news, even later in the day, when all the damage was done.

Hearing all the personal stories over the years has cemented the role of that day into my life.

The most interesting observation, the one that hits closest to home, is the number of graduates planning on entering the service that stand up at graduation ceremonies.

My husband wasn't among those at his graduation, but not even a year after, he had signed that contract. He felt compelled to serve his country. 

Now, 10 years later, I'm sitting at a Call to Duty ceremony for my husband, his twin brother, and one of his best friends from high school as they get ready to leave and play their part in protecting our freedom.

The irony of the date hasn't been lost on our family.

Jake is my hero.
So steadfast and strong. 
So willing to take the lead, show the initiative.
To volunteer his passion and talents to those serving and protecting our country.
Being one of them.
A true child of God. 

I'm so proud of him.
And I will be every day for the rest of my life.

2 comments:

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

What a beatiful post!

Grammy Goodwill said...

You were in class and I was in a team meeting with my fellow 8th grade teachers. It was hard to decide how to handle the news with students. God bless your husband and his colleagues.