Home Home Home

May 2, 2011

History Has Been Made

Last night, as I sat with Asher watching a DVR'd episode of Cougar Town, Jake came downstairs and told me I got a text from Mrs. G to turn on the TV. It's not a normal request from her, so I did.

The headline for the news was the death of Osama Ben Laden.
My initial response was to question whether or not this would bring on an attack from Taliban. Would more of our troops suffer due to the mission that ended the life of their 'fearless' leader, who has been hiding in a country we were unable to enter?

Would this make it more dangerous for my husband whose deployment is scheduled for September 11th?

I'm relieved.
Relieved to know that the face of a devastating event in our nation's history is no longer on this earth.

Feeling relief bordering happiness for the death of a person is not something I'm comfortable with. It's good, don't get me wrong... But it doesn't sit well with me. I guess my fear for what could happen next is taking precedence.

It was a bitter sweet moment, to watch people from all over our nation gather and celebrate a victory for our troops. Finally the people whose job it is to face death every day at the face of the people who threaten our nation are celebrated. Finally some recognition is given to those serving in our armed forces. Finally something to show for the war we are fighting.

I just hope that this speeds bringing our troops home from that barren wasteland... And that it was worth it, in the end.

Thank you to our troops. You are the true heros of this day in history.

1 comment:

Mrs. G said...

I got a call from my brother who is re-enlisitng on Wednesday to turn on the tv and when I saw the head line I immediately thought of you and Jake.