Home Home Home

April 19, 2011

My Experience with Childbirth

No. I'm not a mom. But, Big Sis is!

I'm gonna tell my story of her birth. Hers will probably be better, but she obviously wont be blogging for a little bit.

On Thursday I drove to my parent's house to pick up Big Sis. I was taking my taxes so I could be sure they would go out that day. Being the dork I am, I tried to get out of the car, to the mail box and back again before her pregnant self got settled into my car. (I won because she had to put something in the mailbox too.) On the way to work she told me that her back was hurting a little bit more than the day before. She was uncomfortable. I was sad about that. But I asked her if she was in labor. It was the typical question since she was so far along. She told me no, her back hurt and her pelvic bone was bothering her. But, no, there were no contractions.

I was bummed. Almost every day for the past week I began our hourly daily telephone calls while at work with, "Are you in labor?" If so, the plan was that someone had to drive her home and I was determined that it would be me.

At 9:45 the first phone call of the day came and she quietly said, "It's starting!"
My response, "YAY. OK cool. when do we get to go home?!"
"I'm going to stay until lunch"
"Oh...Are you sure?" I have a one track mind when it comes to going home.

She lasted through the whole day. (Insert bummed face)

She told me at lunch that at that time it just felt like period cramps. (Fortunately, our family has fairly light cramping when it comes to our lady time.) I was sad that I wouldn't get to deliver the laboring woman to her soft bed in the middle of the day, quickly followed by me falling into my own soft, quiet, non florescent lighted, bed.

I kept getting updates throughout the day. I kept my dad, who is my supervisor, updated. Dad updated my brother and so on.

When it came time to go home Big Sis was still doing fine. She didn't think she would be going to the hospital until late that night.

I still called every 2 hours or so.

Around 11:50 my mom texted me to let me know that they were leaving for the hospital. I was ecstatic. She was 2cm dilated, 3 after an hour in triage. I laid out my clothes and set up a game plan for getting out of the house as fast as possible. I went to bed around 1am.

At 5:40, when my normal alarm went off I called my mom for an update. Big Sis was further along, but tired after a long night of contractions. I quickly showered, did my hair, got dressed, kissed my puppy and got out of my apartment. I don't think I've ever gotten through my morning routine so fast. I was parked before 7am.

I got to my sister's room and stayed for about a half hour. She was having about 1 contraction every 2 minutes. It looked uncomfortable, but she was perky enough in between contractions, sitting in a rocker, that I was surprised. While I was there they decided to break her water and see how her progression went from there. It was going to be a little bit... So I went to work.

At 9:45 my mom called and only said "It's starting"... It was pretty cryptic, but I shut all my crap down and headed to the labor and delivery floor of the hospital. I got there and Big Sis was laying down in her bed. I avoided the bottom of her bed and kissed her hello. She was already so tired and I said encouraging things and told her I would take pictures and video while things happened. (Mom had been pre-occupied and hadn't taken any all night)

The only drug my sister got was to bring her contractions closer together. Other than that she went au natural.

For 3 hours of pushing.

It was intense.

She did beautifully. I was so amazed by her ability to continue following directions while almost deliriously tired. We were all worried due to how long she was pushing... And how big Paisley's head was. But she did it.

And I stayed for the whole thing. I didn't think I would be able to take seeing my sister in so much pain. But in all honesty it seemed as if it were the most natural thing in the world.

She was tired, and hot, and determined.

The room was positive, despite the concerns. I tried to keep things light with a little sarcasm here or there about what was going on... It was a defense mechanism. Big Sis smiled at more than one, so I say it worked.

My mom was a stressful mess, in a good way... Kinda. She knew what was going on due to being a labor/delivery nurse. I tried to ask her how things were going and true to her job, she was tight lipped. I wanted to hit her only because I didn't know what was going on. I understand now. There were 2 times where my mom thought my sister was going to have to get a c-section. She didn't want to say anything to freak Big Sis out... Or undermine the doc. What a good nurse.

Big Sis's man was AWESOME! Kudos to him being in charge of the cheer leading that was going on. He was so supportive and caring throughout. It was the sweetest thing to watch.

All in all, I'm not afraid of natural births... or labor. If anything, it got me excited for my own delivery..... In 2 years or so. I know that I'll be handled by people who know what their doing. I know that my husband will be super positive and cool. Plus, he'll know more about what's going on and he'll ask questions so I know I wont be totally oblivious to what will be going on with my own body. I know it will be exhausting, but the look on Big Sis's face when she saw her little girl for the first time, and knowing that I'll have a moment like that too, will make it totally worth it.

9 comments:

Christine said...

after reading this i had goosebumps and watery eyes! i'm so happy for crystal and the rest of the family! love this story. thanks for posting.

Victoria's Voice said...

Congratulations to your Sister! It is a hard tiring experience but it is worth it once it is all over. I know some women have no problems what-so-ever and can carry on a conversation while birthing. Yeah, ahuh, not me!

Thank you for participating in the Get Wired Blog Hop. I really appreciate you stopping by.

I am your newest follower.

Vickie
http://victoriasvoice44.blogspot.com

Whispering Peace said...

This is so great. I never wanted kids...but once I decided to have one...it made all the difference, I can't imagine not being a mom.....it's the best thing I've ever done.
Congrats to the family

BTW, I'm your newest follower from the hop :D

http://gooeyhandsnmomscrafts.blogspot.com/

April Decheine said...

Your Newest Follower, hopping over from Get Wired Wed! I look forward to checking out your blog! I can already tell it is a very warm blog :-)
Aprils Lifestyle Show

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Congrats to your sister! Labor is hard work....but the end result is priceless!

Nikki said...

What a great story. I bet your sister was super glad you were there to support her.

sasha said...

Congrats to your sister! Great blog! I am now following. Please stop by my blog Diaper Style Memoirs and follow back ;). Hope to see you there!

Inessa
www.diaperstylememoirs.blogspot.com

3 Boys and an Old Lady said...

Thanks for joining the Get Wired Blog Hop! What a beautiful tribute to your newborn niece

Tomi
Three Boys and an Old Lady

Chauny said...

What a beautiful story, you made my day! :) I'm now following you from the Wednesday bloghop, be sure to check out my blogs.

Thanks ~ChaunyWrites