Home Home Home

February 9, 2011

Your Love is Like a Red, Red Rose


Is it sad that I don't love Valentines Day?

I mean the day was made up and made romantic in the 14th century because people couldn't distinguish between 2 or 3 different St. valentines who became martyrs. I mean really..... This has no historical basis whatsoever, but it is said that on the evening before Valentine was to be executed, he would have written the first "valentine" card himself, addressed to a young girl variously identified as his beloved, as the jailer's daughter whom he had befriended and healed, or both. It was a note that read "From your Valentine".

It's like Romeo and Juliet. Depressing and sweet but the end isn't happy.

OK, I'll admit, it isn't the holiday that doesn't appeal to me. It's the mass production of everything red, hearted and rosed up. I mean before the greeting card industry killed the holiday forever in the 1840's, people use to actually hand wright their adoration to the loves of their lives....

What happened to that? Why is there such a focus on the gifts, chocolates, and flowers.

Sometimes, a person just wants words. Heartfelt, inspired, original, beautiful words. And in all honesty, why does something like that have to wait for any specific holiday?

1 comment:

J-Bird said...

I agree. I don't love holiday itself but I do love the sentiment behind it.

And can someone please explain why roses go up 800% on this day?