Home Home Home

February 7, 2011

Re-worked, Adapted and Released

Lately everything is getting re-done. I mind, a little, that screen wrights are unable to come up with truly original material to put into movies. There are a TON of books out there begging to be read and turned into a movie (Although they have to be done right).

I'm liking the big budget adaptations. where they can afford to do the project some good. Not cheap versions to be tossed in the walmart $5 bin.

Some good ones:
  • Ever After - 1998, Cinderella, I could watch it over and over and over again...
  • Robin Hood - 2010
  • The Wizard of Oz - 1939. Classic.
  • The Chronicles of Narnia - So far they have done an awesome job getting these on the big screen.
  • Harry Potter - What can I say about this. I was sad about some things being left out. But they're now classics
  • The Princess Bride - 1987, Whats up Fav movie!!!
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas - Jim Carey, I thought it was well done with a good appreciation to the craziness that is Dr. Seuss. (critics don't agree)
  • James and the Giant Peach - Animated, but amazing.
  • Alice in Wonderland - 2010 - Awesome!
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 2005. OK so it was almost TOO similar to Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory from 1971.
  • King Arthur - 2004
  • A Little Princess - 1995. OK so I haven't seen this since I've entered adulthood. but I remember it being good.
  • Tuck Everlasting - 2002. I got to go to a preview screening. Lucky me.

Adaptations that I haven't seen but I've heard great things about:
  • Where the Wild Things Are - 2009. I got it for Christmas and just haven't watched it yet.
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox - Want to see it pretty bad.
  • Bridge to Terabithia - Scared to bawl my eyes out....
  • The Tale of Despereaux - 2008. Haven't gotten the chance to see it.

Coming to theatres or in production:
  • Snow White and the Huntsman - December, 2012. They're just casting this one. I'm interested though. (there is also a 'The Brothers Grimm: Snow White' that is said to be in development with Julia Roberts... I dont know which one, or both, is really happening.)
  • Red Riding Hood - March 2011... We'll see how well this goes, but it looks interesting.
  • Beastly -March, 2011. This one looks questionable.
  • Oz: The Great and Powerful - 2013. Johnny Depp....

Other than animated movies, what are your thoughts?

1 comment:

J-Bird said...

I love Ever After so much that I can recite it by heart. I have it on VHS and DVD just in case the apocolypse happens and one of my machines goes down. I prefer Robin Hood Prince of Thieves to the 2010 version with Russell Crowe.

Where the Wild Things Are was fantastic and I made a first date take me to see it. The Little Princess makes me cry every time. Right there at the end when she's re-captured and he doesn't know her. "PAPAAAAAAA!!!!" "SARRRAAAAAHHHH". Bawling like a baby. If you want it, Walmart has it in a combo pack with The Secret Garden which is another fantastic adaptation.

The Princess Bride will always be my favorite because it was the first time I laid eyes on Carey Elwes and he has set the bar for every man since. :)

Obviously, I think you have great tastes in film!