Home Home Home

November 19, 2010

Day 1: Favorite Song

music means so much to me. As a singer I tend to appreciate those with real talent more than 'artists' who rely on auto-tune to make their song listenable. I also can say with confidence that my taste in music is all over the charts and I'm OK with that.

I have never noticed anything wrong with a burnt CD consisting holding T-Pain, Revis, Sarah McLaughlin, Flyleaf, Frank Sinatra, Fiest, Beyonce, Plain White T's, Coldplay, Christina Aguilera, Jay Z, Eva Cassidy, Tonic, A fine Frenzy, Tim McGraw, Barlow Girl...as well as a few songs from Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and maybe some Chicago and a couple songs from my high school choir.......

That actually sounds like a god mix.... I'll get on that project after I finish this.

So you can imagine how hard it is for me to just pick one single song to sum up 'me'.

I would love to say that my favorite song is one that means so much to me and who I am as a person. It's not true. My favorite song... The one that I could listen to on repeat every single day...


Over the Rainbow by Eva Cassidy

Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
in the land that I heard of once,
Once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow,
skies are blue
and the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true.

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me

(Instrumental)

Someday I'll wish upon a star
and wake up where the clouds are far behind me.
Where troubles melt like lemon drops
away above the chimney tops
that's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the rainbow,
skies are blue
and the dreams...that you dare to dream, really do come true

If happy little bluebirds fly
above the rainbow, why
Oh, why
can't I?


This is my favorite song not only because I'm addicted to her quality of voice and the fact that I adore acoustic guitar...

The complete melancholy tone of the song: talking about this place of dreams where you can live carefree and away from the troubles of life... Everyone can relate to that dream. It provides such a lovely picture of complete happiness... Then for the end to state that if something as simple as a little bluebird can live in such a state....

The almost hopeless pleading that goes on throughout the lyrics in the first 2 verses...

The the hope in the next section...

The silent determination in the last verse...

UGH. Gets me every time. I'm tearing up and I'm at work... And I'm talking about a song...awesome. Hahaha.

It' is the song my soul sings for life. To be able to reach out and make my own dreams come true... I hope that you can all just sit in a quiet place, listen to the song and truly connect with the music by the ever brilliant Harold Arlen and lyrics by E.Y. Harburg.

The actual story of Eva Cassidy and the tragic end of a pure voice just seals the deal... If you want a quick history about her check this out.

Runner up: Flyleaf, All Around Me Acoustic

No comments: