Home Home Home

February 24, 2010

What Do Losers From the Loser Bracket Do?

For those of you who don't know that I am in college.... Well, I am.

And to those of you who don't know that my major is Sports and Leisure..... Well, there you go.
So in this major you are required.... (got that? Required) to take activity classes such as yoga, tennis, flag football, fencing, volleyball, weight lifting.... you get my point.

Well for this quarter I chose to take racket ball...
And I'm bad....



like, Daria bad.


Like oh this isn't tennis? bad... (and I got asked to sit out of tennis in HS because I was the odd number in the class... and evidently my teacher didn't want to teach cut throat or doubles.... or I was really just that bad)

So this week my prof./GA Tony (I like to think of him as Tony the Tiger... but I'd never say that to his face) decided to create a tournament for the class... I was hoping to be left off the list because, let's just face it, I'm not a active sports kind of girl. Give me yoga or even strength training any day.

But NO, he made me play... and once again I found myself the odd person out, playing winner in the second round. coincidence? I think not. God's trying to tell me something, and I think it's 'honey, your just not very good at this kind of thing... Not when there are other people who really like to try out there.'.... in a loving and 'your so adorable trying not so hard' kind of way.

So being odd person out I was standing next to court 8... watching my class friend Lindsey actually try to play... which was different from when we were scrimmaging... or tourney-ing, or whatever the hell you want to call it...

Then I saw him, out of the corner of my eye...

looking at me...

deciding to walk over...

"So Erin, you ready to warm up?"

Are you crazy Tony the Tiger Man? "What? Oh no, I'm cool just waiting until they're done"

He saw right through me.... "Nah, you need to warm up. Come on we'll play."

Oh dear Lord. Great. Nerves? check. Gulp? Check. Auto switch for extremaly talkative and stupidly making fun of myself in my inability mode? On.

"Oh well I am warm. I walked all the way across campus. I'm practically sweating." Insert awkward laugh.....
...........

............ Nothing. Damn. No don't start walking toward the court.....

My body wanted to rebel... Serious. I felt the normal polite lock come off my lips.... I knew I was going to look like an idiot. I knew the other girls who I've played just let me slack off because I make really bad jokes about how bad I play....I felt the awkward silences that were to come.....

"want to serve first?" well at least I can serve pretty OK.

And the game commenced... for 12 grueling minutes it was a lot of him giving me pointers.... after every shot.... and me whiffing. (not to be confused with something else that rhymes... you sicko's) I only hit the ball on his serves maybe 4 times.... Of which I got 1 point.... total... until my court was finally done with their 15 points. Finally.


Then it was my turn to play... and the guy I played against let me win... then I noticed that he was taking fault's and just piling them up when I was supposed to be serving....

yeah that's right... I know what a fault is....

So I lost that game, 6-15. not too shabby....

I got moved to the loser's bracket.... But I got to play Lindsey! Yes. No real game playing for me.

I got in there and we started to hit the ball around.... and she started to keep score?! Ugh. is there no hope for the world?

So I lost to her... She gave me some points here and there for things like hitting me with the ball.... which is called a.... I forget now. (But I knew it then.) We also talked about the Olympic figure skating that went on last night.... We we're really into the game.

But I still lost... So I went to check out the bracket sheet... and I turned to Tony the Tiger and stupidly asked 'So what are the losers of the losers going to do?'

"Well I'm going to make a new tournament for all that on Monday."

"Awesome" I said taking another look at the brackets trying to see when my other friend Lauren would be done..

"You know, a little more excitement wouldn't hurt"

Wide eyed I turned and answered innocently 'I said awesome?!'

'OK well maybe a little less sarcasm would help'.... I stared up at him blankly... I didn't think I said it as a sarcastic remark..... Now, I don't necessarily want to be counted in a loser of loser's bracket... But I was impressed that he had a plan.... Awesome is just a word I use often.....

'Oh. that wasn't really sarcastic.' he just gave me a smug smile, turned and walked away... Just like that...

And that, My loves, is why people who love participating in sport... in any shape or form... do not understand those who don't....

It is also why I choose to not hang around those people. give me musicians, actors and the such any day.

I also don't think my impression of Amber from Clueless while I was playing against Lindsey helped any... you know...

Amber: Ms. Stoeger, my plastic surgeon doesn't want me doing any activity where balls fly at my nose.
Dionne: Well, there goes your social life.


yeah, not smart.....

No comments: